Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Treat for the Holy Month… Bread Rolls!

Its that time of the year again; the most holy of all months, Ramzan is here. We all should feel lucky that we have been blessed with  another Ramzan in our lives.  This is a chance for all of us to pray as much as possible during this holy month, repent for our sins and to gain Allah’s love and likeness. Any ibaadat done in this month has many times return as compared to other months and hence is a chance for us to reap maximum benefits and gather Allah’s blessings. May Allah accept our fasts and our prayers (Ameen).

Now lets come to food! With Ramzan comes the  ritual of trying out new and unique recipes. After a whole day of fast with no food and drink, everyone wants to enjoy  good food. You may hear a lot of people advising to cut down on the fried stuff/ snacks and to instead have food that is high in energy, nonetheless, for me,  iftar seems incomplete without snacks. Its ok to enjoy such food once in a while, if not daily, during the whole month; hence here I am sharing this recipe with all my readers.

It is difficult to take out time in Ramzan for blogging, but I have been desperately wanting to share this recipe and just one request by a good old friend of mine, to share recipes for Ramzan, and here I am doing just that!

As for the recipe, I learned it from my dear eldest sister, who in turn learned it from a cousin of ours. I loved having these rolls when my sister used to make them and once she got married, I tried and started making them myself. After getting married myself, every tea/ dinner party I host, I almost always make these rolls and (please don't mind my immodesty!) there haven’t been a single incident that this recipe wasn’t appreciated and people hadn’t asked me for its recipe!




These rolls have 5 basic ingredients, apart from seasonings and are quite simple to make. Yet, the taste is really unique and delicious.  And for all the diet-conscious friends out there, let me mention that these rolls are quite healthy since unlike most rolls, they require very little oil for frying and are not deep fried.

These rolls store well in refrigerator up to a week. They taste scrumptious as it is, but serving with chili garlic sauce or coleslaw, doubles the taste. Do give it a try and let me know if you agree with me or not. :)

A quick note, I am sharing a few pictures from an Iftar party at my home last year. Hope you all enjoy them.

Bread Rolls

Ingredients:

Boneless chicken fillet 200 gms
Potato (medium-sized) boiled 1
Egg boiled 1
Butter 50 gms
Bread slices (fresh) 12-14
Black pepper 1 tsp
Chinese salt 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Egg beaten (for coating) 1
Bread crumbs as needed
Oil for frying

Method:

  • Boil chicken, potato and egg.
  • Shred chicken; mash egg and potato and mix all.
  • Add seasonings and butter and mix well to form filling.
  • Cut the corner of bread slice and moisten it with water (enough for it to be rolled easily).
  • Put the filling in the center of the slice (along the length of the slice), cover from both ends of the slice and press with hands to seal. The slice with stick due to the moisture and will take the shape of roll.
  • Dip the roll in beaten egg, coat with crumbs and shallow fry till golden brown.
  • Serve hot with coleslaw or chili garlic sauce.

Tips:

  • Always use fresh bread for these rolls; using bread taken out from refrigerator will result in breaking of the bread when trying to roll.
  • For added taste (and look), add sesame seeds to the bread crumbs used for coating.
  • To store the rolls, keep them in a container and cover with a clean, moist cloth so that the rolls stay fresh and moist; refrigerate the container.





11 comments:

  1. MA sania....u r doing great man!!! i'll definitely try ths recipe...although i knw of a recipe where u can make bread balls the same way but frm bread tht may not be so fresh.....plz go on sharing more n more recipes esp baked food in general:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the appreciation. :)
    Do give me your feedback when you try the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the setup in the last pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And stay put, another baked recipe coming up soon Inshallah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. first time in your blog
    this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was delicious, we loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Sanober for the appreciation! :)

    @ Torviewtoronto: Thanks for visiting my blog and appreciating. I went through your blog briefly and really liked what I saw; will visit it in detail after Ramzan Inshallah and will surely try out your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great sounding recipe, thank you so much for sharing. Look forward to trying your recipe and sharing with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Wedding Questions: Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and for the appreciation. Do share your feedback whenever you try out this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete